Did you know it’s super easy to make pretzel butterflies? You might have everything you need already, and it’s fun to make them any color you want – like these for the 4th of July!
My kid and I were dipping pretzels for our snack the other day, and when I set two down next to each other, they looked just like a butterfly!
Ingredients for pretzel butterflies
- White almond bark or candy melts – they’re available on Amazon, but often cheaper at someplace like Michaels – and you should be able to use a coupon
- Red and blue sprinkles – or red and blue candy melts
- Wax paper
- Sandwich bag for piping
- Treat baggies, optional
Melt almond bark
If using almond bark, chop it into small pieces, larger than chocolate chips is fine. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.
Repeat 30 seconds at a time but don’t overheat or it can burn and clump up.
Use the same process for white candy melts, but no need to chop them up.
Making dipped butterfly snack
Lay out a piece of wax paper.
Dip the two ends of a pretzel into the candy and sprinkle red on one side and blue on the other.
Set on wax paper to cool. Repeat with several pretzels. (Make sure to do these in pairs so that the colors on the wings match up (reds on top, blues on bottom for example)
While they are cooling, break pieces off several more pretzels to leave the “y” shape in the middle. Scoop some melted candy into a sandwich bag and cut a small hole in one corner.
Squeeze out a small line onto the wax paper and place two dipped pretzels and one “antenna” piece together. Then squeeze another line over the top.
This center line holds the two wings of the butterfly together.
When the candy melts have cooled and hardened, carefully peel away from the wax paper.
Serve on a tray or package in little baggies.
Edible butterfly cupcake toppers
Turn these butterfly snacks into edible cupcake toppers! Set a toothpick between the pretzels, sandwiched between the center lines of melted candy.
Enjoy these preztel butterflies snacks, and have fun making them match any butterfly colors that you want.
- White almond bark or candy melts
- Red and blue sprinkles - or red and blue candy melts
- Wax paper
- Sandwich bag
- Melt almond bark or candy melts.
- Dip "wings" of pretzels in candy.
- Sprinkle with colored sprinkles, or drizzle with other colors of candy melts.
- Set on wax paper to col and set.
- Break some pretzels to create a "y" shape for the antenna.
- Snip away a small corner of a sandwich bag and put some melted white in it.
- Pipe a line of candy on wax paper. Set the antenna and two wings on it.
- Then pipe a second line on top.
- Peel off the wax paper when the cand melt has hardened.