Remember my post last Tuesday with things that have been on my list to try? Today I get to show you the bookshelves I made. All by myself. I’m not sure who was more proud of my drill skills–me or my husband! I followed the instructions here, and loved having someone at Home Depot do the cutting for me! I bought just one of each board size, so I got two 3-foot shelves (for the girls) and one 2-foot shelf (for the stink bug). The wood, plus the box of 1 1/4 inch screws–which has way more than I needed for this project, cost about $20. We already had some 2 1/2 inch screws in the garage, so I didn’t buy any.
They came together beautifully. And I love them!
I followed all the instructions in Polly’s tutorial, and used a bit of wood filler too, to even out some of the imperfections in the wood.
I primed each one, and for paint I used some pure white door and trim paint we have left over from, well, doors and trim. Neither of the kids’ rooms are really decorated at all, and these will match anything we do. But you could easily paint them any color.
I used our electronic stud finder to locate studs in the walls, then pre-drilled, and attached them to the wall with 2 1/2 inch screws. The drill slipped a couple of times, so I have little gouges in 2 of the shelves that I can fill and paint later if I want…though really, they’re always going to be covered by books.